Welcome to 2017. Let’s go baboon is still running and we’ll be looking to do some more musical projects in this year. 2016 was about our challenge to support CALM. Our challenge was to run 10 events across 4 cities and raise over £1,000 for charity.
In the end we held 11 events across 3 cities and one virtual one. Had well over 30 acts and have raised over £4,200 and awareness for the charity.
We also published two zines; Baboon 3 and Baboon 4. Both are still available. To get a copy all you need to do is make a donation to our Just Giving page or contact us and we can sort: stugibb at hotmail dot com.
We’ll put up more info on the 2016 gigs and some of the zine interviews and pictures. Thanks to all those who came along. Keep the awareness about CALM, keep supporting each other. Make sure you have someone you can talk to if needed. Whether friend, family or anonymously.
Baboon Zine 4
Handcrafted by Katie and me leading up to our final show – Baboon zine is something we’re very proud of. And there are still copies available. The zine features interviews with Charlie Parr, Richard Dawson and Hood’s Richard Adams together with a short story from Alan Devey. It also features some brilliant illustrations and a contributions talking about music and mental health.
Get in touch, get a copy. We’d welcome a small donation (£1-£2 suggested) that we’ll give to CALM and post your zine out.
Final show – Saturday 5th November @ Wharf Chambers…
with very special guest – Bob Nastanovich from Pavement! He will be doing a little hosting, some Dj-ing (after 12) and a little percussion…
Plus: Irma Vep, CRUMBS, The Declining Winter, Eskimoomin, Junk, The Wharf Street Galaxy Band
Time starts at 7pm and runs through till 2am.
We’re aiming to reach over £4,000 towards our challenge for CALM
£6 “Record Store only” Tickets available at Jumbo Records or Inkwell York In-store
And exclusively here from Norman Records. Otherwise it is £8…
24th August – In tribute to Joss Perry
24th August is Joss’ birthday. He is greatly missed and loved and is the reason I’m doing the Let’s go baboon challenge this year, raising money and awareness for CALM. #RIPSJP.
For Joss’ birthday, there are 3 new blog/article posts from friends and family:
- A note from Joss’ sister Fran
- Going Public – Grief, memories, cigars and the greatest story ever told – By Danny Myers
- Pop Life article from Jaime Gill
- Facebook event page in tribute to Joss and in support of CALM
- August 24th – We’ve a Facebook tribute event page in tribute to Joss Perry. Joss died in 2013 aged 35 and would have been 39 on the 24th and we miss him very much. Messages will be posted on the FB page and articles will be published here.
- September 7th – Danny and the Champs gig at The Crescent, a joint gig with Please Please You
- August gigs! We raised £338 from the August gigs with the brilliant acts: Charlie Parr, Richard Dawson, Irma Vep, MJ Hibbett & The Validators, Dbh, Alisia Casper, Missing Kids, Boss Caine, Mulholland, It’s Faster Stan, Deadwall. Keep donating here and let’s try and reach £4,000 for CALM
- I think I feel I think… An exclusive and brilliant article from Alisia Casper published here
UPDATE 26th June
We’re now at the halfway stage! We’re so pleased with the support so far for the challenge. Some of the big highlights for us:
- £2,400 raised at the special Vince Sipprell tribute on Sunday May 8th including £460 donations on the night
- Reaching over £3,000 in donations toward CALM already – more to get though!
- Publishing the Baboon zine with honest and open contributions from a range of people that has been at our gigs. So far we’ve given away over 50 for donations to CALM.
- Adem and members of Maggie8 doing a special rendition of “These are your friends” at the opening show on March 3rd – watch it here
- Super friendly and brilliant sound people throughout including Serge at Lexington, Chris at Basement, Paul at Windmill
- The Brixton Windmill after all these years still remaining my favourite London venue (with all the same folk! Thanks Tim, Seamus, Paul!
- Collaborating with the brilliant Joe from Please Please You to put on Kiran Leonard, Irma Vep, Wussy & more!
Please donate: http://www.justgiving.com/letsgobaboon
Join the page: http://www.facebook.com/letsgobaboon
Head to the shows!…
- Thursday 3rd March, Basement, York – Adem, Alisia Casper, Maggie8
- Friday 25th March, Fulford Arms, York – Kiran Leonard plus support
- Friday 29th April, Crescent York – Wussy plus support
- Sunday 8th May, Lexington London – Tribute to Vince Sipprell with Joe & Alexis from Hot Chip, Seamus Fogarty, Laura Moody, Serafina Steer, Simon Fisher Turner, Luna Rai & Jon Hopkins DJ Set!
- Saturday June 11th Brixton Windmill – All dayer (ish) plus BBQ – Featuring COSINES, ESPER SCOUT, LAZARUS CLAMP, MY NAME IS IAN, QUIET MARAUDER, DAYFLOWER, TIM HOLEHOUSE, RNR SOUL!
- Saturday August 6th, Wharf Chambers Leeds – Indiepop night with MJ HIBBETT & THE VALIDATORS, DAYFLOWER, IT’S FASTER STAN (Tribute to The Housemartins)
- Wednesday August 10th Fulford Arms, York – CHARLIE PARR, RICHARD DAWSON, BOSS CAINE & MULHOLLAND
- Thursday August 11th Wharf Chambers Leeds – CHARLIE PARR, DBH & ALISIA CASPER
- Tribute to Simon Joss Perry (to be confirmed)
- Saturday 5th November, Wharf Chambers, Leeds – Special show with BOB NASTANOVICH (Pavement) dj-ing and performing alongside some of the finest acts we’ve had welcomed back, plus more! Tickets/info soon!
We have our Just Giving page. This is set up to take donations during the time we’re running the shows (March to November) and we’re very grateful to those who can add a little extra – particularly if you’re not able to go to the shows… We will also put the donation/collection from each show on to the site. Each show will be a mixture of either collection on the night or ticket and collection (depending on size of show and costs).
We hope to get to £1,000 by November and welcome any contribution you can make.
We will work with guest contributors to develop a series of honest and open articles on music and mental health to run alongside the events, hopefully starting from April.
Take care – hopefully see you at one or more of the shows!
Get in touch!